Religion may not be what one thinks of when they think Key West, but the island is home to many houses of worship including a Catholic Basilica, St. Mary’s Star of the Sea. But just because the island is so colorful and full of visitors, that does not mean that people have no religion. Even people that are on vacation do not always shrug their religious devotion. This point was made again to me the other day when a regular client of mine said that she and her husband purposely did not schedule anything to do on Sunday morning while visiting Key West so that they could attend mass.
I did some research before writing this post and I was surprised by what I found. According to statistics, 56% of the population of the Florida Keys, including yours truly is Catholic, yet there is a disproportionate number of houses of worship of other faiths. Key West has only one Catholic Church while there are four Methodist Churches and only 7% of the population are of this faith. Does that mean that Catholics are that bad at attending mass? Who knows. I just thought that it was an interesting fact.
Anyway, if you are going to be in Key West and don’t want to miss your religious service while here, below is a list (hopefully exhaustive) of the different places of worship on the island. I ordered them in terms of faith to be easier for those interested. Even if you are not the religious type, you can still enjoy the architectural beauty of many of these buildings. And some of the different churches such as Church of God and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church even hold special events such as concerts and art exhibits, especially during the holiday season.
- Big Coppitt Baptist Church * 200 Avenue F * 305-294-4118
- Faith Baptist Church * 1212 Glynn Archer Junior Drive * 305-296-3648
- Fifth Street Baptist Church * 1311 5th Street * 305-294-5522
- Iglesia Bautista White Street * 305-292-9503
- Key West Baptist Temple * 5727 2nd Avenue * 305-294-3411
- La Premiere Eglise Evangelique Baptiste Haitienne * 311 US Highway 1 * 305-292-9503
- Saint James First Missionary Baptist * 312 Olivia Street * 305-296-0807
- Saint James First Missionary Baptist * 2007 Staples Avenue * 305-292-5401
- White Street Baptist Church * 1328 White Street * 305-292-9503
- Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism * (305) 292-0435
- Key West Mindfulness Center * 909 Flagler Avenue * 305-296-3346
- Tibetan Buddhist * 305-293-6283
- The Basilica of Saint Mary Star of the Sea * 1010 Windsor Lane * 305-294-1018
- Eagle’s Rest Christian Center * Poinciana School Auditorium, 1400 14th Street * 305-522-3693
- First Church of Christ Scientist * 327 Elizabeth Street
- Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church * 401 Duval Street * 305-296-5142
- Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church * 800 Center Street * 305-296-2346
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses * 1117 White Street * 305-294-0482
- B’Nai Zion Synagogue * 750 United Street * 305-294-3437
- Chabad Jewish Center & Mikvah * 800 Eisenhower Drive * 305-295-0013
- Keys Jewish Community Center * (305) 852-5235
- Key West Hebrew School * 800 Eisenhower Drive * 305-295-0206
Latter Day Saints
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints * 3424 Northside Drive * 305-294-9400
- Grace Lutheran Church * 2713 Flagler Avenue * 305-296-5161
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church * 2424 North Roosevelt Boulevard * 305-294-1305
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church * 223 Truman Avenue * 305-294-9951
- Key West Methodist Church * 600 Eaton Street * 305-296-2392
- Newman United Methodist Church * 410 Truman Avenue * 305-414-8611
- Trinity Wesleyan Methodist – 619 Petronia Street * 305-296-7598
- Church of Christ * 1700 Von Phister Street * 305-296-3331
- Covenant Word Church * 5580 MacDonald Avenue * 305-292-1119
- Gospel Chapel * 720 Southard Street * 305-294-4351
- Holiness Wesleyan Church * 1011 Virginia Street
- Impact Community Church * 1316 5th Street * 305-296-4673
- Keys Evangelistic Ministries * 1000 Coppitt Road * 305-296-2366
- Metropolitan Community Church * 1215 Petronia Street * 305-294-8912
- Revelation House * 2100 Flagler Avenue, Band Room, Key West High School
- Key West Bible Class * 925 Whitehead Street * 305-296-2029
- Church of God / Moments in Bible Prophecy * 1419 White Street * 877-242-5308
- Southernmost Church of God in Christ in Prayer Room / Pentecostal Holiness * 729 Fleming Street * 305-292-6416
- Winds of the Spirit Ministry * 1213 Glynn Archer Junior Drive * 305-292-6479
- Peace Covenant Presbyterian * 2610 Flagler Avenue * 305-294-1223
Seventh Day Adventists
- Southernmost Seventh Day Adventist Church * 1006 Thomas Street * 305-294-4077
- Glad Tidings Tabernacle * 1209 United Street * 305-296-5773
- Keys Community Church * 3317 Riviera Drive * 305-294-8837
- Baha’i Faith * 104 Duval Street * 305-294-2060
To see what is happening on the island during your visit, check out our Key West Events Calendar. Maybe you will even catch a concert at one of the above houses of worship!
And for more information about the fun side of Key West… things to do and see in our island city, go to our Key West Web Site.
Before deciding where you are going to eat while visiting Key West or any of the Florida Keys, be sure to read my restaurant reviews; check out our restaurant review section of this blog.
Feel free to Email Me if you have any questions about Key West!!
Island Genn – Your Key West Concierge