So you have a car and you want to get away from the hubbub of Key West for a day. Well here are some things to do just a short drive away.
1. Check out Geiger Key Marina & Tiki Bar. Drive us US1 N and turn right at the Circle K on Big Coppitt Key onto Boca Chica Road. Drive for about 1.5 miles and turn left onto Geiger Rd. You can hang out o the restaurant and tiki bar and get some great food with a nice view. And when the Navy pilots are doing drills there is no better viewing area than here! Saturday nights isa always Steak night in the BBQ pit and Sundays is always BBQ chicken and ribs night. YUMMY!
2. Go to the Jumping Bridge on Lower Sugarloaf Key. Drive up US1 N and turn right at MM17 onto Sugarloaf Blvd. (Sugarloaf Shores). Follow the road until it takes a sharp right. To your left you will see a yellow barrier. Park and walk through the yellow fence barrier to the bridge. The water is about 15 – 20 feet deep. You will probably find a bunch of locals already there jumping in and having a blast!
3. Have lunch or dinner at Boondock’s on Ramrod Key. Take US1 N to MM 27.5. Boondock’s will be on your left. They have a great tiki bar, yummy food, an art gallery and gift shop, and a miniature golf course that the kids will really love! And if you have a dog with you, Boondock’s is pet friendly; they even have a pet menu! Bacon anyone??
4. Visit the Blue Hole on Big Pine Key. Drive up US1 N to Big Pine Key, around MM 30. At the stop light make a left onto Key Deer Blvd. The Blue Hole will be on your left. Part of the National Key Deer Refuge, this is an abandoned limestone quarry that was filled up with water from rainfall and from saltwater that seeps in from the limestone. Fish, turtles, birds, snakes, iguanas, and alligators can be found here. You may also see a few Key Deer running around. Do not feed the animals! You will find visitor information here as well as an observation deck. Just up the road from the Blue Hole there are also a couple of wildlife trails.
5. After visiting the Blue Hole, try and find the No Name Pub on No Name Key, connected to Big Pine Key by a small bridge. They have good pizza and other food. I won’t tell you any more than that on how to find it since finding it is the most fun part of this adventure. Once you find it, make sure to buy a t-shirt so that everyone knows you found this hidden gem.
If you have any questions about other things to do in Key West, check out our website, www.gotothekeys.com or contact us at 888-362-3474.