Memorial Day Weekend is the kickoff to summer. It is a long weekend to relax and enjoy. But let us not forget that the reason we are able to celebrate are the soldiers who died in service to this country.
If you are coming down to Key West for the holiday weekend, you will have a great time. Just please be safe and responsible.
Some ideas on how to celebrate down here along with some events scheduled for the weekend…
- Celebrate at the different bars like Sloppy Joe’s.
- Have a cookout at your hotel, a local park, or beach. Fort Zach State Park, Higg’s Beach, Rest Beach, all have BBQ’s and/or picnic areas.
- On May 28th the 10th Annual Yamaha Dolphin Masters Invitational will be held in Key West. The entry fee is $750 per boat. There will be $13,000 in prizes awarded. Call 305-304-7674 for more information.
- A Cuban American heritage celebrations going on from Friday, May 27th to Sunday, May 29th. Cuban roots in Key West began when thousands of Cubans fled to freedom during Cuba’s War of Independence from Spain in 1868. Many of those who fled here were skilled cigar makers. The festival starts with a Coast to Coast Conga Line at 8:00 on Friday, May 27th. Participants will gather at the Southernmost House and the conga line will wind from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico and end at Mallory Square.
- NAS Car Show – The Southernmost Car Show is presented by the FCPOA (First Class Petty Officer Association) Naval Air Station, Key West. This is an annual benefit Car Show & Festival Weekend that commemorates the birth of the U.S. Navy (Oct. 13, 1775). This year honors the 237th birthday of the Navy with many activities surrounding the car show on Sunday, May 27. Free and open to the public. Contact: (305) 467-8196 for more information.