Follow More Closely on our Facebook Group – Visit Key West
Become A Member – Be Informed
March 30, 2020 UPDATE
The Keys remain closed to visitors and Key West has extended the local state of emergency for another week.
In addition, Monroe County has closed Higgs Beach and the adjoining tennis and pickle ball courts.
The checkpoint at MM 112 and on Card Sound Road remain in effect.
Key West is requesting that all business with the city be done remotely.
Monroe County is now reporting 23 total cases of coronavirus.
March 27, 2020 UPDATE
The city of Key West is closing the Edward Knight Memorial White Street Pier beginning 5pm today in an effort to reduce large numbers of people congregating. The closer will be reviewed on a daily basis and will be in effect until further notice.
There are now 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Florida Keys.
March 25, 2020 UPDATE
To limit further exposure to coronavirus, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is restricting access to the Florida Keys. The stops will be located at mile marker 112.5 on US 1, and on Card Sound Road starting early Friday, March 27, 2020, if not earlier. The only people being allowed through the checkpoints will be residents, property owners and those actively involved in work in the Florida Keys such as fuel tankers and delivery trucks. Proof of residency will need to be shown; local identification, a resident reentry sticker, utility bill, deed, lease or tax bill will all suffice as proof. Those actively working in the Florida Keys for essential businesses will need to show a letter from their employer, employee identification, a paystub, or current construction contract in the Florida Keys. First responders, healthcare workers and military actively engaged in work in the Keys will need proper ID as well. Expect long delays.
March 23, 2020 UPDATE
Key West’s city officials have renewed its state of emergency order for another seven days, adding new shutdowns for all “non-essential” retail and commercial businesses beginning 5 p.m. Monday.
In addition, according to the Monroe County BOCC, all fishing bridges are now closed in the Florida Keys.
March 20, 2020 UPDATE
Last evening, Monroe County directed all of the lodging businesses in the Florida Keys to close. Citing their worries about threats to the Florida Keys from the Coronavirus, Monroe County officials announced all hotels, guest houses, short-term rentals in RV parks and vacation rentals were to close beginning at 6 p.m. Sunday, March 22. The exception to this rule is for long-term renters in vacation homes with contracts over 28 days that are already present in the Florida Keys; they will be allowed to stay until the end of their rental agreements. Hotels were directed to no longer take reservations effective immediately. Current visitors must leave by Sunday at 6 p.m. This closure will be in effect for the next 14 days until further notice and will be reevaluated daily. The ban applies to all leisure visitors.
The County is keeping its parks and beaches open for residents as it is considered productive for mental and physical health. But users must keep to small groups of less than 10 people only, and law enforcement officers will be patrolling all areas regularly County-owned playgrounds are still being sanitized twice daily.
With the City of Key West declaring operations that support social gatherings of 10 or more people in a limited area and operate within or from the City of Key West cease operations, many local businesses are now shutting down or operating on a limited basis. These include: movie theaters, museums, sightseeing vehicles carrying 10 or more passengers including crew, attraction tour vessels and charter boats carrying 10 or more passengers including crew, commercial motor coaches, tour buses and similar vehicles carrying 10 or more passengers including crew.
- Lazy Dog is still running kayaking tours at a limited number.
- Dream Catcher Charters is still running private charters.
The city of Key West also has established a hot line, 305-809-1101, which is staffed 24 hours day if anyone has questions.
Publix has make shopping from 7 – 8 am for those over 65 only so that they can get in and out with limited exposure. Winn Dixie has done the same things, with those hours being 8 – 9 am.
In addition, Florida’s Governor just today issued an executive order for all food establishments to suspend on premise food and alcohol service. They may still operate their kitchens for delivery and / or take-out. The order also included the closure of all Florida gyms and fitness centers.
One person in the Florida Keys has now tested positive for coronavirus. She is a 72-year old Upper Keys resident who apparently contracted the coronavirus on a recent trip to the United Kingdom. According to the Florida Department of Health, she is expected to make a full recovery.
March 19, 2020
According to Monroe County’s Emergency Management and the Florida Department of Health in Monroe County, there are currently no confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Florida Keys. On Sunday, March 15th, Mayor Heather Carruthers declared a local state of emergency for Monroe County to help free up resources and funds to help with a potential crisis.
County officials do not discourage travel to the Florida Keys, and the Key West International Airport remains open with no plans of closing. The Monroe County Tourist Development Council is letting travelers know that there are no restrictions to come to the Florida Keys and Key West other than travel to the United States from countries the CDC has identified.
As of March 15th, cruise lines have cancelled all itineraries until further notice. So, even though the Key West port has not closed, there will be no ships visiting the island for at least the remainder of the month of March.
The ferry terminal, however, will be closed to incoming passengers for the remainder of the month.
As a precaution, there have been some other closures on the island of Key West as well. Here is the latest list:
- The Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center was mandated to close to the public, effective Saturday, March 14th, until the coronavirus crisis is deemed over.
- Sunday, March 15th, the Tropic Cinema closed until further notice.
- The on-and-off Duval Loop bus is to suspend operations temporarily, starting March 17th.
- Smathers Beach
- Southernmost Point Buoy
- Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square
- Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
- The Key West Art & Historical Society museums are scheduled to close temporarily starting March 17th through April 1st:
So, what is there to do in Key West? Lots, actually!
- Fishing is fabulous right now and the charter guides would love the business.
- Monroe County’s public beaches are remaining open, but people should not congregate in groups larger than 10 people; law enforcement will be patrolling to enforce the directive.
- Parks and libraries are staying open and are also instructed to follow the “less than 10 rule” as mandated by the State. County-owned playgrounds are being sanitized twice daily until further notice.
- Jeep rentals are available for you to explore the Florida Keys.
- Many shops, museums and galleries remain open in Key West, so check those out!
- Restaurants not in the Key West city limits are still open for business per usual. That is as little as a 5 minute drive away! And most Key West restaurants are still open for take-out and / or delivery:
- Amigo’s Tortilla Bar – CLOSED
- Ana’s Cuban Cafe – PICKUP
- Antonia’s Restaurant –
- Bad Boy Burrito-Key West – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Banana Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Benihana – PICKUP
- Better Than Sex – A Dessert Restaurant – PICKUP
- Big John’s Pizza – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Blackfin Bistro – PICKUP
- Blue Heaven – PICKUP
- BOs Fish Wagon – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- The Breakfast Club Too – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- The Cafe –
- Cafe Sole – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Camilles – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Caroline’s Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Charlie Mac’s – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Chef John Hines Meal Prep – DELIVERY
- Chico’s Cantina – PICKUP and DINE IN
- Cole’s Peace – PICK UP
- Conch Shack – PICKUP
- Conch Town Liquor & Lounge – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Courthouse Deli – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Corner Sandwich Shop – PICKUP
- Cuban Coffee Queen – PICKUP
- DJ’s Clam Shack – PICKUP
- Delunas Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Denny’s – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- The Dirty Pig – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Dolphin Deli –
- Domino’s Pizza – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Duffy’s Steak and Lobster House – PICKUP
- Duetto Pizza & Gelato –
- El Siboney Key West – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- El Siboney Stock Island – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Fernandy’s Café – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Firefly Key West – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Frita’s Cuban Burger Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Garbos’ Grill – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Glazed Donuts – PICKUP
- Goldman’s Bagel Deli – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Grand Cafe – CLOSED
- Half Shall Raw Bar – PICKUP
- Hard Rock Cafe Key West – PICKUP
- Harpoon Harry’s – PICKUP
- Havana Cabana Food Truck – PICKUP
- Hogfish Bar and Grill – PICKUP & DINE IN
- Kennedy Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Key Plaza Creperie – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Keys Coffee Co –
- La Crêperie – French Café Key West – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- La Michoacana – PICKUP
- La Te Da – PICKUP
- La Trattoria Oceanside – DELIVERY
- La Trattoria Old Town – DELIVERY
- Little Pearl –
- Lola’s Bistro – PICKUP
- Mangia Mangia – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Margaritaville Restaurant, Key West –
- Mary Ellen’s Bar and Kitchen – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Matt’s Stock Island Kitchen & Bar – PICKUP & DINE IN
- Miami Subs Grill – PICKUP
- Misohappy – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Moondog Cafe & Bakery – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Mr. Z’s – Old Town – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- New York Pasta Garden – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Ocean Grill & Bar – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Off the Hook Grill Key West – DELIVERY
- Old Town Bakery, Key West – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Old Town Tavern & Beer Garden – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- The Original Sandy’s Cafe – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Outback Steakhouse – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Pepe’s Cafe – PICKUP
- Pescado – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Pirate’s Cove – TAKE OUT
- Roostica – PICKUP & DINE IN
- Sandy’s Cafe – PICKUP
- Salsa Loca – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Seven Fish – PICKUP
- Shanna Key – PICKUP
- Sister Noodle House – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Smoked BBQ – PICKUP & DELIVERY & LIMITED SEATING
- Smoothie Shuttle – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Southernmost Beach Cafe – PICKUP
- Stock Rock Cafe – PICKUP & DINE IN
- Subway – PICKUP
- Sushi Song – DELIVERY
- Taco Express – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Tavern N Town – PICKUP
- Thai Island Restaurant & Sushi Bar – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Thirsty Mermaid –
- Tipsy Rooster – PICK UP
- Tong’s Garden Chinese Restaurant – DELIVERY
- Tropical Vibes Cones and Bowls – PICKUP & DELIVERY
- Uva Key West – DELIVERY
- Vinos on Duval –
- Viva Saloon –
- ViV Wine Bistro – PICKUP & DELIVERY
For other Key West information…
To see what is happening on the island during your visit, check out our Key West Events Calendar to see other upcoming special events.
And for more information about the fun side of Key West… things to do and see in our island city, go to our Key West Web Site.
Feel free to Email Me if you have any questions about Key West!!