There is never a shortage of activity on Key West. A new year is here and the events keep on coming. One of the events that is near to my heart is the Key West Fishing Tournament, sponsored by Dream Catcher Charters, Inc; this tournament was founded in 1965 and has been going strong ever since. Anyone fishing in the Florida Keys can enter this seven month long tournament. Culinary delights start off the year here in the Keys; with events like the Seafood Festival and the Food and Wine Festival foodies are in heaven! There are also many marathons and other physical events like flag football and SUP for those athletic types. And let’s not forget about the art scene; concerts, art openings, seminars and plays are abundant throughout the year, starting off with the 35th Annual Literary Seminar in January. So no matter when you visit our island Paradise, you will find as much action and entertainment or relaxation as you are looking for.
January 5, 2017
- KEY WEST GARDEN CLUB PRESENTS: ORCHIDS IN THE KEYS – 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM @ Key West Garden Club, 1100 Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040. Educational lectures are open to the public. Subjects pertain to gardening and environmental topics in the Florida Keys. Refreshments are served at the conclusion of each lecture. This month’s topic is: What orchids do well in the Keys? featuring Jay Pfahl, president of the Key West Orchid Society. Contact: Jane Tiedeman 305-923-3820 or email@example.comFor more information about things to do and see in our island city, go to our Key West Web Site.
January 7, 2017
- SOLDIER RIDE 2017 – WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT – 10:30 AM – 12:45 PM. Ride begins at BocaChica NAS Key West and ends at the Vietnam Memorial in Bayview Park with a Welcome Ceremony, followed by The Community Ride.
January 8 – 15, 2017
- The Key West Tibetan Festival / Sacred Art Tour 2017 / “Week of Peace” – A group of ordained Tibetan monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery in India will call Key West home for the week, hosting several events on the island.
January 9 – 11, 2017
- RED BARN THEATRE PRESENTS: AND THEN I WROTE A SONG ABOUT IT! – 8:00 PM @ Red Barn Theatre, 319 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040. Book by Eric H. Weinberger. Music by Dan Acquisto. Lyrics by Sammy Buck. Thomas Hodges, Musical Director. This award-winning one man “in-concert” cabaret musical starring Nick Cearley (The Skivvies, Buyer & Cellar) comes to the Barn for three nights only! Set to the rhythms of the disco era, our guy, Randall (an actor/singer/songwriter/dancer/secretary) is looking for love in the late 70s and early 80s. His life rushes before him like a groovy flashback in the moments before he goes on Tom Snyder’s “Tomorrow” show. Tickets: $35. Call for info: 305-296-9911.
January 9 – 15, 2017
- FLORIDA KEYS PADDLE CHALLENGE – Enjoy a true island paradise, paddling beside sea turtles and railroad visionary Henry Flagler’s ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’ in the azure waters of the Florida Keys. Start: Curry Hammock State Park – Marathon, Fl. End: Zachary Taylor State Park – Key West, Fl. Total Distance: 65 miles. Registration Deadline: December 26, 2016. http://www.paddleflorida.org/me/paddle-florida/florida-keys-challenge-5156.html. Contact: 352-377-8342 or email Bill Richards: firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 11, 2017
- CONCH REVIVAL PICNIC – 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM – Don’t miss the second installation of the widely successful Conch Revival Picnic! If you’ve been in the Keys for any length of time, chances are you’ve had your fair share of tasty key lime pie and conch chowder. But what about the ultimate chilao or the Queen of all Puddings? Now is your chance to have your taste of these things and more at the Conch Revival Picnic— a heritage dinner presented by The Key West Art & Historical Society and Isle Cook Key West featuring a cornucopia of classic Key West/Conch recipes. With the rich and varied history of people that have flowed in and out of the Florida Keys— the Calusa and Tequesta Indians, the Spanish and English, the Caribbean and Bahamian settlers, and the émigrés from nearby Cuba— our island cuisine steams from a literal melting pot of tastes and cultures. In early days, the distance from mainland food sources also impacted the menu, forcing locals to explore ingenious ways of utilizing and preserving local fruits and fish— dietary staples which were supplemented by canned milk, rice, coffee, and other shipped-in commodities. Cost: Members $40, Non-Members $50. For information call Shawn Cowles, Society Operations Manager at 305.295.6616 x 111.
January 12 – 15, 2017
- ANNUAL KEY WEST LITERARY SEMINAR – The topic for the 35th Annual Key West Literary Seminar is “Revealing Power: The Literature of Politics” For more information go to www.kwls.org.
January 13 – 14, 2017
- 57TH ANNUAL HISTORIC HOUSE & GARDENS TOUR #2 OF 4 – Friday, January 13, 2017 4:00 PM – Saturday, January 14, 2017 8:00 PM. The annual Key West house tours are conducted by the Old Island Restoration Foundation and funded in part by the Monroe County Tourist Development Council. Each tour features lovely homes and gardens reflecting the varied tastes and originality of their owners. You will be enchanted by exquisite restorations, creative renovations and delightful interiors featuring art collections, antiques, and much more. General admission tickets for all tours are $30 per person and $35 during the days of each tour. In January, optional Conch Tour train tickets are $35 per person (limited availability). http://oirf.org/page.php?p=tours. No smoking, pets, food/drink or photographs will be permitted in the tour homes. Contact: 305-294-9501.
January 13 – 15, 2017
- KEY WEST WAHOO SHOOTOUT – The 3rd annual Key West Wahoo Shootout at the Waterfront Brewery. For more information, contact: 305-896-4244.
January 14, 2017
- 15TH ANNUAL MAYORS BALL – 6:00 PM @ Casa Marina Resort, 1500 Reynolds Street, Key West, FL 33040. In support of the Florida Keys Children’s Shelter. For more information, please contact Janey at: 305-731-4741 or email: email@example.com.
January 14-15, 2017
- 12TH ANNUAL FLORIDA KEYS SEAFOOD FESTIVAL – The Florida Keys Commercial Fisherman’s Association is having their 12th Annual Florida Keys Seafood Festival at Bayview Park. Dates and Time: January 14, 2017 11:00 am – 8:00 pm and January 15, 2017 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. For more information contact Caitlin Hemphill, Seafood Festival Coordinator at 813-362-9555 or Caitlin.Hemphill@gmail.com.
January 15, 2017
- 19TH ANNUAL KEY WEST HALF MARATHON & 5K – 7:00 AM, participate in The Key West Half Marathon® in Key West, Florida. Race through Key West’s historic Old Town and waterfront areas January 15, 2017, during the annual Key West Half Marathon®. Set to begin at 7 a.m., the sporting challenge takes place on a flat, fast 13.1-mile half-marathon course in the scenic island city. Location of this year’s run is the Key West Historic Seaport at the foot of Margaret Street. The 5K Run will follow right after the start of the Half Marathon. Now in its 19th year, We have had participants from all 50 States and 14 countries, including Denmark, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Canada, Mexico, Switzerland, Brazil to name a few to compete in Key West’s balmy January climate. For more information, please contact Barbara at 305-240-0727 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. http://www.keywesthalfmarathon.com/.
- KEY WEST IMPROMPTU CONCERTS PRESENTS: CANADIAN BRASS – 4:00 PM @ St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 401 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040. Now in its 45th season, the game-changing Canadian Brass has performed in virtually every major concert hall in the world, been seen by hundreds of millions of people on television, sold 2 million of its approximately 100 albums worldwide, and contributed nearly 600 new works and arrangements to the brass quintet repertoire. Renowned for genre-bending versatility and joyous performances, the award-winning Brass is almost single-handedly responsible for elevating the art of the brass quintet to what it is today. http://www.keywestimpromptu.org/concerts/season/2017-season/#canadian-brass-2017. Tickets: $20.
January 15 – 20, 2017
- QUANTUM KEY WEST YACHTING RACE WEEK – Truman Waterfront. This is the only annual race week in North America. This year marks the 30th Anniversary. 150 Sailboats racing in waters off of Key West. Book Space on Amercia 2 to watch the race. For more information visit keywestraceweek.com or cantact Bill Canfield at 340-626-0239.
January 19 – 22, 2017
- KEY WEST KINGFISH MAYHEM – FISHING TOURNAMENT – Stock Island Marina Village, 7005 Shrimp Road, Key West, FL 33040.Key West is known for having some of the largest Kingfish ever caught in any tournament. Come fish in the beautiful waters of Key West. The 2017 Key West Kingfish Mayhem is set to be a great event with some incredible fishing. Sign up today! Contact Jimmy Wickett at 954-605-8284. www.keywestkingfishmayhem.com.
January 20, 2017…
- THE RED BARN THEATRE PRESENTS: MURDER FOR TWO – Friday, January 20, 2017 – Sunday, February 12, 2017. Red Barn Theatre, 319 Duval St. (rear), Key West, FL 33040. Everyone is suspect…one actor investigates the crime and the other plays all the suspects and the BOTH play the piano. A highly theatrical duet loaded with killer laughs, it’s a perfect blend of music, mayhem, and murder in a witty, winking homage to old fashioned murder mysteries. Contact: 305-296-9911. http://www.redbarntheatre.com/.
January 21, 2017
- DISCOVERY SATURDAY AT FLORIDA KEYS ECO-DISCOVERY CENTER_300 – 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM @ Eco-Discovery Center, 35 East Quay Road, Key West, Fl 33040. Kids in kindergarten through fifth grade are invited to join the free, fun-filled Discovery Saturday at the Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center.Discovery Saturday is held the third Saturday of every month. For more information, call 305-809-4750.
- THE KEY WEST BOTANICAL GARDEN 2017 SEASON SPEAKER SERIES – 1:30 PM @ 5210 College Road Stock Island, Key West, FL 33040. Enjoy garden tours, as well as learn about the Florida Keys environment and how it affects gardening in a wide range of topics for discussion and education. Visit website for a schedule of monthly lectures, typically scheduled to begin at 1:30pm. “Sea Level Rise & Natural Solutions for the Florida Keys”, Chris Bergh, South Fl. Conservation Director, The Nature Conservancy. Contact: 305-296-1504 or email email@example.com. http://www.kwbgs.org.
- KEY WEST CHAMBER OF COMMERCE INSTALLATION & AWARDS BANQUET – 6:00 PM @ Key West Marriott Beachside Tavern N Town 3841 No. Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040. 6:00p.m. Cocktails, 7:00p.m. Dinner. Contact: 305-294-2587.
January 22, 2017…
- CONCH REPUBLIC CUP KEY WEST TO CUBA RACE WEEK – Sunday, January 22, 2017 – Friday, February 03, 2017. The CRC is a historic race that started in 1997 with direct race to Varadero then expanded to Havana in 1999. The triangle race as it has been coined, is a traditional race to Cuba that allows the racer to complete a triangle between KW and two Cuba cities – Varadero and Havana. The CRC is a non-profit organization with the mission to introduce as many of the US sailing community to Cuba as possible as well as revitalize racing in Cuba. For more information and schedule: www.conchrepubliccup.com. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-731-6219.
January 23 – 30, 2017
- KELLY MCGILLIS CLASSIC INTERNATIONAL FEMALE FLAG FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP – Women and girls from around the world are to meet on the playing field for hard-fought sporting acton. Each year, more than 26 teams from across the United States, Mexico, Central America, Sweden, and India participate. Contact: 305-896-8678 or email email@example.com. http://www.iwffa.com/iwffa-tournaments/.
January 24, 2017…
- WATERFRONT PLAYHOUSE PRESENTS: THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL – Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:00 PM – Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:00 PM @ Waterfront Playhouse, 310 Wall Street, Key West, Fl 33040. American masterpiece about the universal pull that we all feel for “home.” Carrie Watts is an elderly widow, trapped in the tiny Houston apartment of her overprotective son and domineering daughter-in-law, who wants to return to her hometown of Bountiful – one last time before she dies. With pension check in hand, she breaks free. Her journey is filled with humor and tenderness that’s both touching and life-affirming. Contact: 305-294-5015. https://www.waterfrontplayhouse.org/seasons/.
January 25 – 29, 2017
- KEY WEST FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL 2017 – Top Chefs and restauranteurs display culinary creativity and the Keys’ indigenous cuisine in a flavorful schedule of events for food lovers. Highlights include the lively “Duval Uncorked UnDone”, neighborhood wine strolls, food and wine pairings, intriguing seminars, and a grand tasting. Contact 800-474-4319 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. https://www.keywestfoodandwinefestival.com/.
January 26, 2017
- TENNESSEE WILLIAM THEATRE & THE SOUTH FLORIDA SYMPHONY PRESENTS: UBERMENSCH – South Florida Symphony presents: Ubermensch featuring violin soloist Tessa Lark, enjoy a Korngold concerto for violin and orchestra. Performance at 7:30 p.m., Florida Keys Community College, Tennessee Williams Theatre. http://sflso.org/ecwmv-event/ubermensch-superman-4/.
January 27, 2017
- THE HEMINGWAY EXPERIENCE – 5:30 AM – 8:30 PM @ Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, 907 Whitehead St. Key West, FL 33040.Presented by Phil Greene with special guest John Hemingway at the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum. Tickets: $65 – 75. Call Adele Williams @ 305-295-6616 ext115 for more information.
- 2017 UNSUNG HEROES/VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR LUNCHEON- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM @ Key West Marriott Beachside Tavern N Town, 3841 No. Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040. The Community Foundation sponsors the annual Unsung Heroes event to promote volunteerism and civic engagement throughout the Keys. Honorees, who are presented with a Certificate of Recognition, will be recognized at a luncheon on January 27, 2017, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Key West Marriott Beachside. Additional tickets are available for $60 per person, space available on a first come, first served basis. The deadline for this year’s nominations is December 16, 2016. https://cffk.org/nominate-your-2017-unsung-hero-now/.
January 28, 2017
- HUMANITARIAN OF THE YEAR GALA 2017 – Key West Marriott Beachside Tavern N Town 3841 No. Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040. The American Red Cross Gala will honor the 2017 Florence Spottswood Humanitarians of the Year, the Elwell Family, and the Lifetime Achievement honoree, Dr. Shirley Freeman. The American Red Cross is celebrating 100 years in the Florida Keys.For more information please email email@example.com.
- KEY WEST HISTORIC CEMETERY STROLL – 9:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, groups of visitors will be guided through the cemetery, stopping at a variety of graves whose stories will be told by volunteer interpreters. Groups will begin tours at 9:30, 9:50, and 10:00.
For reservations and information, call 305-304-1453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 28 – 29, 2017
- 32ND ANNUAL KEY WEST CRAFT SHOW – Saturday, January 28, 2017 10:00 AM – Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:00 PM. The Key West Craft Show is a two day juried outdoor craft festival. This nationally recognized Craft Show brings over 100 fine and skilled craft artists to this beautiful historic area of Key West. Exhibitors will set up along Whitehead Street from Greene Street to Eaton, and on Caroline Street through the famous Presidential Gates into the beautiful Truman Annex. Set among historical attractions such as Audubon House, the little White House and Mel Fisher Museum the City of Key West closes two blocks of Whitehead Street and another block of Caroline Street to vehicle traffic for the show. Visitors can leisurely browse the beautiful displays of pottery, fabric, glass, wood, jewelry and other colorful handmade works by the selected artists. The show, which is in its 32nd year, is sponsored by the Key West Art Center, and was created to complement the Old Island Days Art Festival held in February. The Craft show has been recognized by the Sunshine Artists’ Magazine consistently over the last 10 years as one of their top 200 in the nation and is popular with exhibitors and visitors alike. For more information contact: www.keywestartcenter.com, Lois Songer @ 305-294-1243, email@example.com.
January 29, 2017
- 23RD ANNUAL KEY WEST MASTER CHEFS CLASSIC – The 23nd Annual Master Chefs Classic® , held at the Westin Key West Resort & Marina Pier, 245 Front St, is a culinary competition and tasting that benefits the Monroe Association for ReMARCable Citizens (MARC provides life services for developmentally and intellectually disabled adults in the Florida Keys). Restaurants compete in appetizer, entrée and dessert categories providing an amazing array of incredible food for the lucky 450 people attending. This event sells out early and it is a FUNDRAISER for MARC Inc. It is NOT INCLUDED in the Key West Food and Wine Festival’s VIP pass. TICKETS GO ON SALE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1st. Tickets are NOT refundable. Please read your options carefully before you purchase your tickets at: www.keystix.com. email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact Gordon Ross at 305-294-9526.
- KEY WEST IMPROMPTU CLASSICAL CONCERTS PRESENTS: ASHU- 4:00 PM @ St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 401 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040. Ashu — Concert Saxophone. Back by popular demand, Ashu has cultivated a pioneering career as the first and only full-time concert saxophone soloist. He has established an extraordinary ability to communicate with audiences around the world through his charismatic and emotive performance style. He has repeatedly defied conventions by winning major international awards and competitions traditionally won by pianists and violinists including the prestigious “Audience Award” from the International Musical Olympus Festival in St Petersburg, Russia. Email: email@example.com. http://www.keywestimpromptu.org/
February 2 – 4, 2017
- CUDA BOWL – Shallow-water flats anglers and guides are invited to hook up and fight their barracuda rivals. The event is headquartered at Hurricane Hole Marina on Stock Island. Prizes are to be awarded to the top angler and guide in light-tackle spin and fly divisions. Visit cudabowl.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 3 – 5, 2016
- CIVIL WAR DAYS HERITAGE FESTIVAL – Friday, February 03, 2017 8:00 AM – Sunday, February 05, 2017 5:00 PM – We invite you to participate in the 31st Annual Civil War Heritage Days at Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park on February 3,4,5, 2017. This three day event portrays the time period of 1861-1862 at a Federal fortress. First person interpretation, weapons demonstrations and camp life are featured on a daily basis. Event highlights include a parade down Duval Street, a sea battle (weather permitting), blockade runner’s trial and lecture series. Union and Confederate soldiers, townspeople, craftspeople, performers and sutlers are all part of the re-enactments, which focus on educating the public by sharing the history of Fort Taylor and life during the Civil War. For information on how to get involved, please contact Kevin Bowes at email@example.com. , or (305) 292-6850. Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, located at the end of Southard Street. Begins Friday at 8am, ends Sunday 5pm. Regular Park Entrance Fee must be purchased.
February 9 – 11, 2017
- SLOPPY JOE’S 13TH ANNUAL PUT-IN-BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL – Sloppy Joe’s Bar, 201 Duval St. Key West, FL 33040. For more information, please contact Sloppy Joe’s at 305-294-5717 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. https://sloppyjoes.com/events2/.
February 11, 2017
- THE KEY WEST BOTANICAL GARDEN 2017 SEASON SPEAKER SERIES – 1:30 PM @ Key West Botanical Garden Society, 5210 College Road, Key West, FL 33040. Enjoy garden tours, as well as learn about the Florida Keys environment and how it affects gardening in a wide range of topics for discussion and education. Visit website for a schedule of monthly lectures, typically scheduled to begin at 1:30pm. “The Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail” Andy Wraithmell, Information Specialist, Wildlife Viewing, Fl. Fish & Wildlife Commission Contact: 305-296-1504 or email email@example.com.
February 11 – 12, 2017
- GARDENFEST AND GREEN MARKET – Key West Botanical Garden Society, 5210 College Road, Key West, FL 33040. A giant plant sale offers visitors the opportunity to peruse a wide array of native and exotic tropical plants, earth-based art and healthy living vendors. Enjoy a perfect day in the Garden where organic and healthy food vendors as well as a beer and wine bar will be available in the Courtyard along with the talents of local musicians. 305-296-1504, www.kwbgs.org.
February 12, 2017
- KEY WEST IMPROMPTU CLASSICAL CONCERTS PRESENTS: ETHOS PERCUSSION GROUP – 4:00 PM @ St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 401 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040. Ethos Percussion Group. The superlatives just keep coming as Ethos enters its third decade of exceptional music-making and devotion to the world of percussion. All individually accomplished artists, the members of Ethos are equally at home with contemporary classical website press kit repertoire or in collaborations with master-musicians from non-Western traditions. Their unique performances seamlessly transport global influences into Western chamber music to create a visually and aurally compelling experience. http://www.keywestimpromptu.org/.
February 14, 2017
- 34TH ANNUAL VALENTINE’S GALA – Curry Mansion Inn, 511 Caroline Street, Key West, FL 33040. As we plan our most magical 34th Annual Valentine’s Gala we pay tribute to these two great individuals, Edith and Edward, by setting this year’s Valentine’s Gala Theme as Hat’s Off to Edith and Good Knight Edward. Both Edith and Edward were instrumental in developing what has become known as one of the best holiday parties in Key West, supporting our Children. Edith and Al Amsterdam hosted our first Valentine’s Gala at their Curry Mansion Inn. The Gala which started in 1983 has continued through the years. Still family owned the family promised to continue their parents’ tradition. Our hosts this year are Edith’s children, Patsy and Phil. Edward Knight joined Edith in her efforts by pledging his support and staff to host the Valentine’s Day Silent Auction, which has become the Largest Silent Auction in the Keys. Edward Knight and Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Knight & Gardner Realty staff have volunteered each year to run the huge silent auction. The performance area will boast some of Key West’s most talented performing artists such as the Honey Mouth Band. The event will feature the island’s largest silent auction, open bar, dancing, and an elegant and abundant dinner designed and prepared by chef Warren of Destination Carterers of Key West. This signature event is sponsored in part by Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, Curry Mansion Inn, Ricks/Durty Harry’s and Sloppy Joe’s Bar. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to Wesley House Family Services. For tickets go to www.keystix.com. For more information contact Claire Hiller at 305-809-5000.
February 17 – 18, 2017
- 57TH ANNUAL HOUSE TOURS – 3RD OF 4 – Friday, February 17, 2017 4:00 PM – Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:00 PM. The annual Key West house tours are conducted by the Old Island Restoration Foundation and funded in part by the Monroe County Tourist Development Council. Each tour features lovely homes and gardens reflecting the varied tastes and originality of their owners. You will be enchanted by exquisite restorations, creative renovations and delightful interiors featuring art collections, antiques, and much more. General admission tickets for all tours are $30 per person and $35 during the days of each tour. http://oirf.org/page.php?p=tours.
February 18, 2017
- PRESIDENTIAL FAMILIES SERIES: IN THE SHADOWS OF THE WHITE HOUSE 4PM – Little White House Museum, 111 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040. Presented by the Harry S. Truman Little White House., descendants of four former United States presidents are to share memories and insights about their forebears’ vacations and retreats during a presentation at Florida’s only presidential museum. Held on the grounds of the 111 Front St. residence where former President Truman spent 11 working vacations during his 1945-1953 administration.Tickets available through Keystix.com.
February 21, 2017…
- RED BARN THEATRE PRESENTS: I DO, I DO! – Red Barn Theatre, 319 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040. In this tuneful and heartwarming musical, we follow Agnes and Michael through 50 years of marital bliss, infidelity, children, incompatibility, old age, and simple joys. From the creators of “The Fantastics”, this endearing musical spans the years of 1895 to 1945, rolling out one catchy song after another in this bedroom comedy. Tickets: $25 – 45. http://www.redbarntheatre.com/.
February 25, 2017
- KEY WEST HISTORIC CEMETERY STROLL – 9:30am – noon @ Key West Cemetery. Groups of visitors will be guided through the cemetery, stopping at a variety of graves whose stories will be told by volunteer interpreters. Groups will begin tours at 9:30, 9:50, and 10:00.For reservations and information, call 305-304-1453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 25 – 26, 2017
- THE OLD ISLAND DAYS ART FESTIVAL – Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:00 AM – Sunday, February 26, 2017 5:00 PM. Along WhiteheadStreet from Greene Street to Eaton and on Caroline Street. The Old Island Days Art Festival is a two day juried outdoor fine art festival. This nationally recognized show brings over 100 fine artists to this beautiful historic area of Key West. Exhibitors will set up along Whitehead Street from Greene Street to Eaton, and on Caroline Street through the famous Presidential Gates into the beautiful Truman Annex. Set among historical attractions such as Audubon House, the Little White House and Mel Fisher Museum, the City of Key West closes two blocks of Whitehead Street and another block of Caroline Street to vehicle traffic for the show. Visitors can leisurely browse the beautiful displays of paintings from watercolor to oil and acrylic, decorative sculpture, photography and other fine arts from the selected artists. Tropical themes are abundant here, but contemporary and traditional styles make something for everyone! The show, which is in its 52nd year, is sponsored by the Key West Art Center, and was originally held to raise money for the renovation of the building at 301 Front Street. That building is now home for the KWAC and displays works by the 60 plus local members. The first show was held on the sidewalk on Front Street, near the current gallery and artists used clothespins to attach their work to the fence in front of the old Custom’s House. Since then the show has been held annually and grown from just local artists and now includes exhibitors from across the country and Canada. The Old Island Days Art Festival is seeking artists for its 52nd annual Fine Art Show in Key West. This nationally recognized event attracts fine artists from across the country. Exhibitors include painters, sculptors, photographers, collage artists and other non-functional fine art. Reports from the 2015 show exhibitors were positive and they were pleased with the number of buyers. For more info please contact: Lois Songer @ 305-294-1243.
- KEY WEST GARDEN CLUB – GARDEN TOURS – 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM @ Key West Garden Club, 1100 Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040. Peek behind the walls and visit beautiful gardens with plant id’s and docents. This year the tour includes gardens of Inns and B&B’s. Sharon Jones (305) 432-3696 / Donna Farrow (410) 544-2379. http://www.keywestgardenclub.com.
February 26, 2017
- KEY WEST IMPROMPTU CLASSICAL CONCERTS PRESENTS: XAVIER FOLEY — DOUBLE BASS – 4:00 PM @ St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 401 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040. Xavier Foley — Double Bass. From Marietta, Georgia, double bassist Xavier Foley is the First Prize winner of the 2014 Sphinx Competition. As such, he has appeared as soloist with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra, Nashville Symphony, Brevard Concert Orchestra, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, and made his Carnegie Hall solo debut with the Sphinx Virtuosi on October 2014. Xavier is also a winner of Astral Artists’ 2014 National Auditions. Xavier performs as part of the Sphinx Soloist Program sponsored by the GM Foundation. He is Impromptu’s Rising Star recipient for 2017 and his appearance in Key West is made possible by the Gail Williams Munder Concert Series. http://www.keywestimpromptu.org/.
February 28, 2017…
- WATERFRONT PLAYHOUSE PRESENTS: AVENUE Q – Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:00 PM – Saturday, March 25, 2017. Waterfront Playhouse, 310 Wall Street, Key West, FL 33040. Avenue Q is the winner of the Tony “Triple Crown” for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book and one of the longest-running shows in Broadway history. Part flesh, part felt and all heart, Avenue Q tells the story of Princeton, a recent college grad. He and his friends struggle to find decent jobs, stable relationships and a purpose in life in a musical that is hilariously timeless – with hysterical songs such as “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist,” “The Internet Is for Porn, “ and “It Sucks to Be Me.” Preview Tickets: $25, Regular Tickets: $55. www.waterfrontplayhouse.org.
Island Genn – Your Key West Concierge