There are so many things to do and see on our little island of Key West. But what are some must dos? I have come up with some things that make Key West special, a place all of its own, that you really need to try at least once if you are in town!
- Go Fishing! – Key West is the fishing capitol of the world, so it just makes sense to go fishing while you are here. Whether you are a newbie or an expert fisher-person, there is a trip for you! Visit Dream Catcher Charters for information. They fish everything from 12 inches to 1200 feet!
- Visit the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum – This is by far my favorite tourist attraction on the island. Visiting the former home of Key West’s most famous resident ever is simply a must. Plus, you get to see plenty of six toed cats lounging around the property.
- Walk Down Duval Street – This is the main drag of Key West. You can take a leisurely stroll and check out some of the interesting art galleries, museums, shops, bars and restaurants that populate the area.
- Visit Key West’s First Legal Rum Distillery – When in the land of pirates, you have to have some rum! And this place is just the place to do it! Open everyday, the tours are free. You can even bring Fido if you are vacationing with your BCF (best canine friend).
Try Hogfish – This delicious fish is a must. Even people that don’t like fish will generally enjoy hogfish, also known as a hog snapper. The Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island has it daily. My favorite way to get it is stuffed or blackened, or you can get it on a salad, on a bun or in a taco! So many ways to enjoy this delicacy.
- Enjoy the Sunset – Key West has some of the most beautiful sunsets in the world. It is always fun to check out the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square. Here, you can enjoy watching street performers while you wait for the sun to go down. If you are lucky, you will catch the famous Cat Man performing with his talented cats. Or, you can enjoy one of the many sunset cruises available from Key West. So many options!
- Enjoy a Pub Crawl – Key West has more bars per capita than anywhere else. So check some out with a fun and informative guide with the original Key West Promotions Pub Crawl.
- Climb the Wreckers Tower – The Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum is one of the most interesting museums on the island. Wrecker Asa Tift tells you the story of how shipwrecks provided wealth for the early residents of Key West. Then, climb the 65′ lookout tower for an amazing view!
Take a trip to the Dry Tortugas – You can only get to this National Park by water or plane. So advanced reservations are necessary!! Whether you take a private charter, a seaplane, or the ferry, you will have a wonderful day on the gorgeous waters and exploring the nation’s largest fortress, Fort Jefferson.
- Go to the Beach – Key West is not an island with sprawling beaches, but Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is gorgeous and there is some great snorkeling just off of the beach. Plus, you can have a picnic, walk the trails, see wildlife, or explore the Civil War fort. So much to do besides just sunning yourself!
To see what is happening on the island during your visit, check out our Key West Events Calendar to see other upcoming special events.
And for more information about the fun side of Key West… things to do and see in our island city, go to our Key West Web Site.
Feel free to Email Me if you have any questions about Key West!!